Malaysia Airlines is committed to the protection of your Personal Data and takes the matter of protecting your privacy as high priority.
This Privacy Statement explains how we protect the privacy of your Personal Data under the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 ("PDPA"). Please note that the Privacy Statement is streamlined with the common principles of data privacy in most jurisdictions although there may be some slight variations due to local requirements.
What Personal Data do we collect?
The types of Personal Data that we collect directly from you or from third parties depend on the circumstances of collection and on the nature of the service requested or transaction undertaken. It may include (but is not limited to):
- Personal information that links back to an individual, e.g., name, gender, date of birth, passport and other personal identification numbers.
- Contact information, e.g., address, phone number and email address.
- Payment information, e.g., credit or debit card information, including the name of cardholder, card number, billing address and expiry date.
- Travel information, e.g., flight information, dietary and seating and other service preferences.
- Health information, e.g., medical records and requests.
- Technical information, e.g., IP address.
- Statistical Data, e.g., number of passengers, and hits to website.
How do we collect your Personal Data?
This Privacy Statement covers any Personal Data provided to us:
- When making a booking with us, checking-in for a flight or lodging freight.
- Via any online sites operated by Malaysia Airlines and its contractors.
- Under any other contractual agreement or arrangement.
- Via a third party, e.g., travel agent or our service provider.
Some of the other ways we may collect Personal Data also include (but is not limited to):
- When we communicate with you via telephone, letter, fax and email.
- When you visit our website or one of our contractors’ websites.
- When you contact us in person.
- When we contact you in person.
- When we collect information about you from third parties.
- When you interact with us via social media or interactive applications including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.
- From publicly available sources.
- Mobile services.
- Other channels including our ticketing counters and airport operations.
How do we collect your Personal Data from our website?
We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, and to administer our website. Your IP address is used to help identify you and your membership information and to gather broad demographic information.
User Feedback Form
Our Customer Care Feedback Form requires you to give us contact information (e.g. your name and email address) so that we can respond to your comments. We use your contact information from the registration form to send you information about our company. Your contact information is also used to contact you, where necessary. Demographic and profile data are also collected at our site. We use your Personal Data to tailor your experience at our site by showing you contents that we think you may be interested in contents according to your preferences.
Information on Cookies
What do we use your Personal Data for?
We may use your Personal Data for the following purposes ("Purpose"):
- To enable us to provide our services and perform our services to you.
- To facilitate your travel (e.g., making a booking) and freight arrangements.
- To provide flight alert messages.
- To facilitate internet check-in.
- To be able to process any commercial transaction (e.g., In-flight sales).
- To facilitate your participation in the loyalty programs of Malaysia Airlines and third parties.
- To send you promotions and information on products and activities, offers to upgrade or other notifications in relation to your booking.
- To protect the safety and well-being of yourself and/ or other customers.
- To investigate and respond to claims from you.
- To comply with any legal or regulatory requirements.
- To remind you to complete your booking and/ or offer our assistance (in case, for instance, failure to complete due to technical difficulties). This is an optional service. You can choose not to receive these emails at any time by following the link at the bottom of each such email.
- To provide in-flight catering and other services that best meet your preferences and needs (which we may collect during our interactions with you).
- Marketing and communicating with you in relation to products and services offered by Malaysia Airlines, Malaysia Airlines’ airline and service partners, as well as Malaysia Airlines’ appointed agents.
- Contacting you for product or customer satisfaction surveys and market research.
- For statistical analysis so that we can better understand Malaysia Airlines' customer profile and improve Malaysia Airlines’ services to you.
- For all other purposes ancillary to any of the purposes stated above.
Accessing / Limiting / Correcting / Updating your Personal Data
You may request to obtain information of your Personal Data, limit the processing of your Personal Data and also update or make amendments to your Personal Data as below:
- For online registered customers, you may login to your Malaysia Airlines online account and update your Personal Data.
- For every other customer, you may forward your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that depending on the information requested and where permitted by law, a nominal administrative fee may be charged. We will endeavour to provide the information back to you as soon as practicable; however we also reserve the right to validate all requests for the authenticity of the request. We may refuse to comply with data access request in circumstances as provided by the law (under section 32 of the PDPA).
In the course of Malaysia Airlines performing servicing functions such as making a flight booking, transmitting flight alert messages or accepting a meal preference, your personal data will, by nature of the task or transaction, be provided by our customers and passengers to Malaysia Airlines. In such instances, consent will necessarily be implied from you that they are agreeable to providing Personal Data in order for Malaysia Airlines to provide the requested or necessary service and/or product to them.
Where another person makes reservations on your behalf, you undertake and will ensure that you have authorized the disclosure of your Personal Data and consent to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Statement.
Please note that it is obligatory for us to process your Personal Data, without which we will not be able to make travel arrangements for you and keep you updated about our future, new and/ or enhanced services and products.
Nonetheless, you may stop receiving promotional activities by:
- unsubscribing from the mailing list;
- editing the relevant account settings to unsubscribe; or
- sending a request to email@example.com
To whom do we disclose your Personal Data?
We will not trade or sell your Personal Data to third parties. Your Personal Data shall only be disclosed or transferred to the following third parties who may be located within or outside Malaysia for the fulfilment of the Purpose:
- Our travel and freight service providers or travel-related businesses.
- Our partner airlines and other carriers.
- Airport authorities.
- Safety and security personnel.
- Other Malaysia Airlines affiliates, subsidiaries and any other parties that Malaysia Airlines contracts with.
- Credit card verification providers, data warehouse and other third parties in order to process your commercial transactions.
- Legal bodies as permitted or required by law such as in compliance with a warrant or subpoena issued by a court of competent jurisdiction.
- Customs, immigration or other regulatory authorities applicable to you.
- Our contractors, service providers, consultants, auditors and advisors on a need to know basis.
In addition to the above, your personal data may also be disclosed or transferred to any actual and potential assignee, transferee or acquirer (within or outside Malaysia) of Malaysia Airlines (including its affiliates and subsidiaries) or Malaysia Airlines’ business, assets or group companies, or in connection with any corporate restructuring or exercise including the restructuring of Malaysia Airlines to transfer the business, assets and/or liabilities.
Malaysia Airlines shall take practical steps to ensure that its employees, officers, agents, consultants, contractors and such other third parties mentioned above who are involved in the collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Data will observe and adhere to the terms of this Privacy Statement.
How long may we retain your Personal Data?
We will not retain your personal data longer than necessary for the fulfilment of the Purpose. However, relevant Personal Data may be retained subject to the conditions below:
- As and when required under legislation.
- Where legal actions have arisen and are pending.
- Commercial/ operational purposes of Malaysia Airlines.
Malaysia Airlines shall take all reasonable steps to ensure that all Personal Data is destroyed or permanently deleted when no longer required for the Purpose.
Notification of Changes
Please note that this Privacy Statement may be amended from time to time in accordance to applicable laws and regulations and such variations may be applicable to you. The latest version of this Privacy Statement will be made available to all customers.
Do visit our website from time to time for updates on our Privacy Statement.
For any queries, concerns or complaints in relation to our handling of your Personal Data or Malaysia Airlines' Personal Data Protection policies, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org