Assistance for incapacitated passengers
Incapacitated passengers are those who, because of their medical, physical or mental condition require individual attention which is not normally provided to other passengers. This attention may be required on embarking, disembarking, in-flight, in an emergency evacuation and/or during ground handling.
Some incapacitated passengers may have permanent but stable disabilities, e.g. arthritis, deafness, blindness, or paralysis of all or part of the body. Others may have temporary disabilities such as recent surgery, broken limbs, or recent illness which requires them to be on a stretcher or wheelchair.
Not all incapacitated passengers require medical clearance before being accepted for travel. However, passengers with the following incapacities and/or disabilities must be subject to medical clearance by our Medical Services Department before being accepted for travel:
- Those suffering from any disease believed to be actively contagious and communicable.
- Those who, because of certain diseases or incapacitations, may have or may develop unusual behaviours or physical conditions which could have an adverse effect on the welfare and comfort of other passengers and/or crew members.
- Those who can be considered to be a potential hazard to the safety or punctuality of the flight including possible diversion and unscheduled landing.
- Those who would require medical attention and/or special equipment to maintain their health during the flight.
- Those who may have their medical condition aggravated during or because of the flight.
If medical clearance is required, the MEDIF application form (PDF) should be completed by your attending doctor and submitted to Malaysia Airlines through our ticketing offices or travel agents at least five working days before the intended date of travel.
If you have enquiries regarding the assistance provided for specific conditions, please call our customer care centre at 1 300 88 3000 (within Malaysia) or +603 7843 3000 (outside Malaysia).
If you would like to obtain a copy of Part 382 regulatory reference (Non-discrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel) in an accessible format from the US Department of Transportation, you can do it by the following means:
- For calls made from within the United States, by telephone via the Toll-Free Hotline for Air Travellers with Disabilities at 1 800 778 4838 (voice) or 1 800 455 9880 (TTY), the Aviation Consumer Protection Division at 202 366 2220 (voice) or 202 366 0511 (TTY).
- By mail to the Air Consumer Protection Division, C-75, U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE, West Building, Room W96-432, Washington, DC 20590.
- On the Aviation Consumer Protection Division website.
You may also access the Regulation (EC) No.1107/2006 of the European Parliament and the Council concerning the rights of disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility when travelling by air here.