IN THE NEWS
Browse through our archive of press release or get in touch with us via our media relations department.
Subang, 20 September 2013: Malaysia Airlines is on an expansion mode with capacity and frequency increases regionally and new destinations internationally.
“In the recent weeks, we launched flights to Dubai and Kochi and increased capacity and frequencies to Bandar Seri Begawan (Brunei) and Medan (Indonesia). Soon, we will be flying more often to Singapore, Sydney and Melbourne, as well as putting Darwin back in our network map”, says Malaysia Airlines Group CEO, Ahmad Jauhari Yahya.
“People are travelling more, and Malaysia Airlines is strengthening our footprint across Asia and beyond in response to these market needs”, added Ahmad Jauhari Yahya.
Malaysia Airlines has seen a steady increase in passenger traffic since the start of 2013 matching the added capacity. Seat loads have also improved, registering 83.3% in July 2013, equivalent to a 9.1% increase from the previous year.
Malaysia Airlines recently celebrated the reinstatement of its Kuala Lumpur – Dubai service in August 2013. Kochi, in south India, became its new destination in September. Darwin in Australia’s Northern Territory is the Malaysian national carrier’s new destination in November 2013.
Capacity and Frequency increases:
· Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei – Saw an 11% increase in capacity into and out of Bandar Seri Begawan with the bigger B737-800 series (160-seats) aircraft effective 15 August 2013 which replaces the previous B737-400 series.
· Medan, Indonesia – Added a third daily frequency from Kuala Lumpur into the Medan effective 15 September 2013, making it 6,720 seats weekly in and out of Medan.
· Singapore - New daily flights MH623 ex-Kuala Lumpur for Singapore and MH624 ex-Singapore for Kuala Lumpur offer more seamless travel and good connections to popular destinations such as Delhi and Beijing.
· Sydney, Australia - Double daily operations from Sydney will be increased with 4 additional weekly flights bringing it to 18 flights per week from 21 November 2013. This will increase to 21 weekly flights from 5th February 2014.
· Melbourne, Australia - Malaysia Airlines is also increasing its frequency from Kuala Lumpur into Melbourne to triple daily from 21 November 2013, from its current double daily service. The new frequency, MH147 will depart Kuala Lumpur at 7.50 pm daily and will arrive in Melbourne at 6.45 am the following day. MH146 from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur will depart at 8.55 am and will arrive in Kuala Lumpur at 2.15 pm the same day.
Customers can book their travel on Malaysia Airlines through all distribution channels mainlywww.malaysiaairlines.com, Malaysia Airlines 24 hours toll free number 1 300 88 3000, MHmobile, Malaysia Airlines ticket offices and appointed agents throughout Malaysia.