Malaysia Airlines Appoints Expedia, Inc. to Offer Online Fares - Malaysia’s national carrier fares offered through the world’s leading full-service online distribution channel
20 September 2012 : Malaysia Airlines announced today the expansion of its relationship with the Expedia, Inc. group, the world’s largest online travel company, to offer travellers in Malaysia affordable airfares all year round at any time of the day, effective 20 September 2012.
This partnership provides Malaysian consumers with a simple and easy to use online travel booking channel for them to view, select, transact and finalise their air travel needs from the comfort of their homes and work places.
The arrangement appoints Expedia as one of Malaysia Airlines’ official online ticketing agents and makes Malaysia Airlines’ full schedule of domestic and international routes and fares, including that of its wholly owned subsidiary MASwings, available to consumers booking flights on Expedia’s newly-launched Malaysia website, www.expedia.com.my.
Commenting on this partnership, Malaysia Airlines Head of Sales and Distribution Duncan Bureau said, “As the hospitality industry firmly leverages on the online options for purchase of related products and services, we at Malaysia Airlines continuously take advantage of this development to expand our online distribution channels for customers to enjoy our best prices throughout the year. We are already working together with Expedia in other markets where we operate, and this is an extension of that partnership for the benefit of our customers in Malaysia. As a 5-star airline with the world’s best cabin crew, we are pleased to partner with the leading online travel company for our customers to get the best deals and enjoy our full service hospitality during their air travels”.
“We are very pleased to build upon Expedia’s relationship with Malaysia Airlines, one of the country’s leading travel brands, to provide consumers with an extensive selection of Malaysia Airlines’ content on the country’s only full-service travel site, Expedia.com.my,” said Greg Schulze, Senior Vice President of Global Tour and Transport, Expedia. “It’s an exciting opportunity and one that will improve the entire travel booking experience for consumers throughout Malaysia.”
About Malaysia Airlines
- Malaysia Airlines has a strong presence in Malaysia, Southeast Asia, North Asia, China, South Asia, and on the Kangaroo Route between Europe and Australasia. It also operates transpacific flights between Kuala Lumpur and Los Angeles via Tokyo. Today, Malaysia Airlines flies around 37,000 passengers daily to some 80 destinations worldwide.
- It has embarked on a fleet renewal programme with a firm order of 45 B737-800 and 15 Airbus A330-300 aircraft with delivery of the new B737-800 and the A330-300 continuing throughout 2012 and 2013. In addition four of the six A380 it ordered join the fleet this year (2012) and the remaining two by first quarter next year.
- The national flag carrier of Malaysia has built itself a strong brand name in the aviation industry for superior service and flight safety. It holds a lengthy record of service and best practices excellence, receiving more than 100 awards in the last 10 years from international bodies such as the UK based independent research consultancy firm, Skytrax.
- Malaysia Airlines marked the entry of the first A380 into its fleet this year by having its 5-Star Airline status renewed by Skytrax. The introduction of its latest 5-Star product standards on the A380 marks the beginning of a thorough process to the momentum of 5-Star quality service delivery across all customer-facing areas of the airline.
- At its home base in KL International Airport, Malaysia Airlines’ First and Business class hospitality facilities in its flagship Satellite Golden Lounge have been totally refitted to deliver a true 5-Star Lounge experience with many new and exciting amenities and services offered to customers.
- Cabin staff service has long been a strong point for Malaysia Airlines, this underlined by the success in being named the World's Best Cabin Staff at the 2012 World Airline Awards. This award has become somewhat familiar to Malaysia Airlines over the last decade, having been a winner in most previous years since 2001.
About the Expedia, Inc. group
- The Expedia, Inc. group is the largest online travel company in the world, with an extensive brand portfolio that includes some of the world’s leading online travel brands, including: Expedia.com®, the world’s largest full service online travel agency, with localized sites in 30 countries.
- Hotels.com®, the hotel specialist with sites in more than 60 countries.
- Hotwire®, a leading discount travel site that offers opaque deals in nine countries on its eight sites in North America and Europe.
- Egencia®, the world's fifth largest corporate travel management company.
- eLong™, the second largest online travel company in China.
- Venere.com®, the online hotel reservation specialist in Europe.
- Expedia Local Expert®, a provider of in-market concierge services, activities and experiences in 18 markets worldwide.
- Classic Vacations®, a top luxury travel specialist.
The company delivers consumers value in leisure and business travel, drives incremental demand and direct bookings to travel suppliers, and provides advertisers the opportunity to reach a highly valuable audience of in-market travel consumers through Expedia® Media Solutions. Expedia also powers bookings for some of the world’s leading airlines and hotels, top consumer brands, high traffic websites, and thousands of active affiliates through Expedia® Affiliate Network. (NASDAQ: EXPE) For corporate and industry news and views, visit us at www.expediainc.com or follow us on Twitter @expediainc.
Issued jointly by: Malaysia Airlines & Expedia, Inc
For media information, contact:
Manager - Media, Issues & Crisis Management
Phone : (03) 7840 4485
Mobile : (019) 222 4952
Email : email@example.com
Head of Public Relations & Social Media
Phone : +65 6922 3376
Mobile : +65 9154 3603
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org