Information and services for flying with a disability
Upon ticket reservation
To ensure that your needs are met with utmost care, it is important that you inform our service staff of your disability or that of your charge’s upon ticket reservation so that we can help you make all the arrangements necessary.
- To reserve flight tickets through our staff, please call 1 300 88 3000 if you are within Malaysia or +603 7843 3000 if you are overseas.
Passengers with walking disabilities
Depending on your/your charge’s mobility level, special arrangements can be made for your flight – particularly with regard to seating. Most international airports are wheelchair-friendly, with ease of access to common facilities. Should you need additional on-ground or in-flight support, please contact our service staff for further assistance.
- Passengers with certain physical handicaps may qualify for rebates on flights within Malaysia (except for flights on MASwings and promotional fares). They will need to present their OKU (Orang Kurang Upaya) identification cards to Malaysia Airlines prior to issuance of tickets.
- Some passengers with walking disabilities may require medical clearance before flying. For more information, please call our service staff at 1 300 88 3000 if you are within Malaysia or +603 7843 3000 if you are overseas.
Passengers with sight disabilities
Passengers with sight disabilities who present their OKU (Orang Kurang Upaya) identification cards upon ticket reservation enjoy a special rebate on flights within Malaysia (except for flights on MASwings and promotional fares).
Passengers on stretchers
Depending on aircraft space available and the severity of the passenger’s condition, Malaysia Airlines accommodates certain stretcher cases – although subject to strict guidelines and procedures. Please contact our service staff for more information should you have any queries.
- Stretcher cases must always be accompanied by a medically qualified personnel unless prior exemption has been obtained from the company’s doctor. The accompanying passenger is also to look after the stretcher case passenger’s toilet needs
- To speak to our staff, please call 1 300 88 3000 if you are within Malaysia or +603 7843 3000 if you are overseas.
If you are diabetic, you are advised to have additional supplies of insulin or tablet medication, spare needles or syringes readily available in your hand baggage in case of breakages or delays en-route. For that, you will need to have a doctor’s authorisation to confirm you are insulin dependent.
As diets for diabetics vary considerably, please inform us at least a day in advance of your meal requirements.
The following travellers generally need medical clearance by their own doctors or the Malaysia Airlines Medical Services Department before flying:
- Acute asthmatics
- Expectant mothers approaching 35 weeks (international travel) or 36 weeks (domestic travel) of pregnancy*
- Elderly passengers (not accompanied by any family member)
- Infants in incubators
- Newborn babies within the first 7 days of birth or premature birth
- Passengers on stretchers
- Passengers suffering from leprosy
*Non-Malaysian women who are pregnant beyond 6 months are not allowed to fly into the country.
- For further information or answers to your queries, please contact our service staff at 1 300 88 3000 if you are within Malaysia or +603 7843 3000 if you are overseas.
Unfit for air travel
The following conditions are usually considered unacceptable for air travel:
- Anaemia of severe degree
- Severe cases of otitis media and sinusitis
- Acute contagious or communicable diseases e.g. open tuberculosis
- Myocardial infarction within 6 weeks of on-set/congestive cardiac failure
- Hypertensive disease with severe complications
- Peptic ulceration with recent haemorrhage within 3 weeks
- Post-operative cases (within 10 days of simple abdominal/within 21 days of chest surgery)
- Skin diseases which are contagious or repulsive in appearance
- Fractures of the mandibles with fixed wiring of the jaw
- Mental illness without escort and sedation
- Expectant mothers beyond 35 weeks (international travel) or 36 weeks (domestic travel) of pregnancy*
- Introduction of air body cavities for diagnostic or therapeutic purpose within 7 days
Assistance for incapacitated passengers
Incapacitated passengers are those who, because of their medical, physical or mental condition require individual attention which is not normally provided to other passengers. This attention may be required on embarking, disembarking, in-flight, in an emergency evacuation and/or during ground handling.
Some incapacitated passengers may have permanent but stable disabilities, e.g. arthritis, deafness, blindness, or paralysis of all or part of the body. Others may have temporary disabilities such as recent surgery, broken limbs, or recent illness which requires them to be on a stretcher or wheelchair.
Not all incapacitated passengers require medical clearance before being accepted for travel. However, passengers with the following incapacities and/or disabilities must be subject to medical clearance by our Medical Services Department before being accepted for travel:
- Those suffering from any disease believed to be actively contagious and communicable.
- Those who, because of certain diseases or incapacitations, may have or may develop unusual behaviours or physical conditions which could have an adverse effect on the welfare and comfort of other passengers and/or crew members.
- Those who can be considered to be a potential hazard to the safety or punctuality of the flight including possible diversion and unscheduled landing.
- Those who would require medical attention and/or special equipment to maintain their health during the flight.
- Those who may have their medical condition aggravated during or because of the flight.
If medical clearance is required, the MEDIF application form (PDF) should be completed by your attending doctor and submitted to Malaysia Airlines through our ticketing offices or travel agents at least five working days before the intended date of travel.
If you have enquiries regarding the assistance provided for specific conditions, please call our customer care centre at 1 300 88 3000 (within Malaysia) or +603 7843 3000 (outside Malaysia).
Special Meal Requests